Clock is ticking down so don’t miss the chance
Windows 10 was rolled out last summer to the relief of many Windows PC, laptop and tablet users. The previous versions 8 and 8.1 had not gone down well with many users. To placate the disgruntled and to restore some faith Microsoft decided to offer the Windows 10 upgrade free to Windows 7 and 8/8.1 users.
Many of those eligible for the upgrade will have seen the regular pop-up reminding them to take the plunge and get on with it. The latest version of this pop-up actually specifies the upgrade for a scheduled date and time, unless the user interacts with the pop-up and cancels the upgrade.
Microsoft ends the free upgrade offer on 29 July 2016, so the clock is ticking down. After this date upgrade pricing is £100 per device
s.If you use Windows 7/8/8.1 on a personally owned computing device it’s your choice whether to go ahead; however if you are a business user, the decision will be down to your IT manager, department or service providers.
From the perspective of businesses, here are what we consider to be the 3 best reasons to upgrade to Windows 10.
1. More functionality and better performance from software
New software provides more functionality and enhanced performance making Windows 10 more powerful and easier to use. In short this means business users have the ability to get more done in less time. Some of the key elements of this are:
- Cloud native – integration with Microsoft cloud services, including Office 365, cloud storage and Skype for Business
- Cortana voice assistant - speeds up data access and helps locate ‘lost’ files
- Edge Browser – a new web browser that provides a marked improvement over Internet Explorer
- Rollback feature enables a user to return to the previous operating system within 30 days
2. A new generation of hardware helps boost productivity
Windows 10 spawned a new generation of hardware which offers significant improvements over legacy computing devices:
- Facilitates greater productivity with faster start-up, better connectivity and greater portability
- Touchscreen-ready – Windows 10 offers better compatibility with touchscreen devices
- Syncs across multiple Windows 10 devices so laptops, smartphones and tablets have access to all the same resources for each user
3.Enhanced security for safer business computing
Security is perhaps the single most important consideration of our time. Cyber criminals and hobbyist hackers are engaged in an eternal battle with IT security experts for supremacy. Windows 10 tightens security to create a safer computing environment for business users with:
- ‘Windows Hello’ providing facial recognition for instant log-on, improving identity management and user access
- Secure Boot and Device Guard help prevent against zero-day attacks by brand new malware and other tactics designed to exploit vulnerabilities
- Windows Store apps are trusted and signed
- Edge Browser is designed to be secureagainst most web-based threats
Windows 10 upgrade help and support from HTL